About my blog

The aim of the ITD course (ID4220) at the Delft University of Technology is to provide Design For Interaction Master students with in-depth theoretical and practical interaction design knowledge to help develop future products based on user-product social interaction. ITD proceeds through a sequence of iterations focusing on various aspects of the brief and the design, and culminates in an experiential prototype.


This blog is managed by Walter A. Aprile: please write if you have questions.

Archive

Disclaimer

De meningen ge-uit door medewerkers en studenten van de TU Delft en de commentaren die zijn gegeven reflecteren niet perse de mening(en) van de TU Delft. De TU Delft is dan ook niet verantwoordelijk voor de inhoud van hetgeen op de TU Delft weblogs zichtbaar is. Wel vindt de TU Delft het belangrijk - en ook waarde toevoegend - dat medewerkers en studenten op deze, door de TU Delft gefaciliteerde, omgeving hun mening kunnen geven.

We are ready for the final phase!

In order to have a good start, we made a nice and tight schedule for the final phase!

Yes, we are now heading to the end step by step, see what we have done in the first week.
 
 

Programming progress

 

 

For the programming, first electronic components were looked at in detail to see if thebudget could be reduced and which parts had to be ordered.

First,we counted on using an arduino mini which is very small. After looking further, itturned out it needed a USB Serial adapter nearly its size to be programmable. We visited Rob for a talk aboutthis and other components and received great insights into the componentsneeded.

To beginwith, the greatest thing is that Rob will be ordering a custom arduino from China, which he jokingly calls the “arduino Schizo” because it combines severalfeatures of other arduinos. It has several huge advantages for our project andwill be the one we are going to use. First, it possesses contacts forconnecting the Xbee (for connecting to other Teggs) without losing all D I/Opins. Second, it can run on a 3.7V battery and third, it also features athree-axis accelerometer, which is perfect for our use!

 

All needed components are visible in the graphic. Next to the Arduino Schizo, we will use

* oneLi-I 3.7V battery for energy, which can be more conveniently charged using the arduino schizo than using previous arduinos

* 2analogue pins for the onboard accelerometer

* 1analogue pin for the “contact sensor” for determining if the egg is open orclosed

*3analogue pins for 3 light sensors – we chose the lilypad light sensors, as theyare flexible and can this way be inserted closely to the concave Tegg skin fromthe inside

* 1 DI/O for the vibration motor (need to test with 3.7V, otherwise connect toremaining TLC output)

* 1DC/DC converter to convert 3.7V to 5V that are needed by e.g. white and blueLEDs

* 1 DI/O pin to connect the Shift register tlc 5940 to connect several LEDs. Theadvantage of this is that not only do we get more D I/O, but they are all ableto do PWM, something needed for our concept.

* 6 DI/O pins to connect two more boost LEDs that do not require PWM.

 

Accordingto our concept, we would need 3 colors for each user, plus 3 ‘feedback boost’LEDs that will make feedback to the user more clear, meaning 3×9 = 27 D I/Opins. With the TLC we reach 3 active (connected to other teggs) and 1 ‘fake’user (simulated by software), with two of the three ‘fake’ users not connected.

 

Until next week, finances are re-considered and the programming planning made in moredetail to see where we can already start writing code before components areavailable. 

 

Movie Progress

For the moving making, we looked into some examples that inspired us for illustrating the story of our product. It is always joyable to share and discuss the intesting concepts and techniques we could use in our movie.

We decided to keep the drawing style and add more fun in it ! It is gonna be a sweet and warm show for you all. 

Here is the first draft! We will have a brainstorming with all group members in second meeting. Hmm, really look forward to see the final version movie scenario.

 

Prototype& Concept Progress 

Some details need to be changed and added according to the feedbacks from user tests.  We keep the ways how users should tagg. Slightly changed the shape into a more egg alike shape and the layout of lights. The emotion colors are changed into green-happy, yellow-cherish, red-unhappy refer to the traffic lights.

Since we decide to 3D print our prototypes, in this period, we are working on digital models.

 

 

Be Sociable, Share!

Leave a Reply

© 2011 TU Delft